Aims of OUR Curriculum
‘Learn to Live – Live to Learn’
At Ryhope Infant Academy School we are focused upon the whole child and our curriculum reflects this. We aim to nurture and prepare children educationally, socially, morally and physically for their continuing education into their next phase and beyond into citizenship. We use half termly topics as the basis for our curriculum planning, informed by the interests of our pupils, our local community and the National Curriculum. This personalised learning approach enables us to make learning inspiring, creative, meaningful, relevant and engaging which encourages enjoyment in learning and promotes high standards of achievement. We offer a broad, balanced and exciting curriculum which encompasses our vision of ‘Learn to Live – Live to Learn’. Our curriculum celebrates diversity and utilises the skills, knowledge and cultural wealth of the community while supporting the pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development. Its implementation is intended to provide children with ambition, learn new and exciting concepts and deepen subject knowledge through a progressive model.
We aim to provide pupils with the knowledge and skills needed to become independent learners and thinkers, prepared and ready to become lifelong learners.
Therefore our core aims are:
- Help our pupils to become independent, enquiring and collaborative learners.
- Embed well being and resilience into our curriculum.
- Develop happy, motivated life-long learners equipped for the future.
- Nurture confident, healthy, caring and respectful individuals.
- Create thinking individuals, with values, who make a positive contribution to the world.
- Provide challenge through innovative teaching, enabling children to reach their full potential.
- Be inclusive and diverse allowing a range of opportunities for children to fulfil their highest potential, both academically, and in respect of their wider interests and talents.
- Ensure our curriculum facilitates the growing needs of all learners.
- Help children develop a growth mindset, a love of challenge and create a safe and secure learning environment where children embrace risk.
- To encourage parents to be active partners in their children’s education.
- Our pupils are challenged in fun and exciting ways through an enriched curriculum that offers: real-life, purposeful learning opportunities; first-hand experiences and regular opportunities to learn outside the classroom via a range of educational visits and curriculum workshops.
At Ryhope Infant School Academy we have a creative curriculum with increased links between subjects under topic headings, underpinned by clear learning objectives. We are also encouraging greater use of thinking skills and group work through problem solving activities which help in establishing the principles and habits needed for lifelong learning.
We aim to create learning experiences that help the children to develop a growth mindset, to enjoy challenge, work hard, persevere and develop creativity in all areas.
The school follows the National Curriculum in all areas. Details of the National Curriculum are available in school and “online” at www.gov.uk/national-curriculum if you should wish to see them.